AT XARO LODGE
We are proud to support eco conscious tourism. Read more about our initiatives below.
Run entirely on solar energy, we make the most of the bright Botswana sunshine
Fresh river water is filtered and used for showers, washing and cooking
All of our structures can be removed leaving no trace behind on the land
We are passionate about supporting and uplifting our local community
Protecting the ecosystem of Xaro for all indigenous plants and wildlife
BOTSWANA MADE CURIOS
As part of our initiative to support our local community, Xaro Lodge sources all of our curios from local artists across Botswana. With an emphasis on handmade products using sustainable materials, we aim to promote eco friendly and beautiful items that will last as long as your memories from your time with us.
You can buy a variety of specialist books from our curio shop, including the Okavango Companion which has beautiful photos and descriptions to help you identify the most common birds, mammals and plants of the Delta.
We stock beautiful wire figures that are handmade in Maun. Each one is unique in both colour and form, ensuring an extra special token from your time here.
At Xaro Lodge we are fortunate to have wonderful and talented staff and their families who make traditional baskets and jewellery. All sales of these items go directly to the individuals who make them, enabling an extra source of income for the surrounding communities.
- Recycling bins available to guests and waste is recycled
- Efforts to reduce food wastage
- Water cooler/dispenser and glasses available
- Single-use plastic stirrers not used
- Single-use plastic straws not used
- Single-use plastic cups not used
- Single-use plastic cutlery/plates not used
- Water-efficient toilets
- Water-efficient showers
- Option to opt-out of daily room cleaning
- Option to reuse towels
- Tours and activities organised by local guides and businesses offered
- Local artists are offered a platform to display their talents
- Provides guests with information regarding local ecosystems, heritage and culture, as well as visitor etiquette
- We fully sponsor the Xhoga pre-primary school, with a percentage of all bookings funding teachers salaries and projects
- Wild (non-domesticated) animals are not displayed/interacted with while captive on the property or harvested, consumed, or sold.
- Surrounded by green spaces that we nurture and protect
- Most food provided is organic and grown locally